LASIK surgery requires considerable preparation. Prior to LASIK in Billings, you’ll need a complete eye examination by your refractive surgeon including the following tests and evaluation:
- Your surgeon will dilate your pupils to fine-tune your prescription.
- Examination of your eyes to make sure they’re healthy, including testing for glaucoma, performing a retinal exam and assessing for dry eye.
- Measurement of the curvature of your cornea and your pupils.
- Evaluation of the topography of your eyes to make sure you don’t have an irregular astigmatism or a cone-shaped cornea — a condition called keratoconus.
- Measurement of the thickness of your cornea. You need to have enough tissue left after your corneas have been reshaped.
- You will be asked to sign an informed consent form after a thorough discussion of the risks, benefits, options and possible complications of LASIK surgery. Review the form carefully and don’t sign until you understand it completely.
If you are approved for LASIK surgery, you will be asked to stop wearing your contact lenses for a while before the surgery. Contacts can temporarily change the shape of the cornea. Your cornea should be in its natural shape the day of surgery. Preparing for LASIK surgery also requires you to stop wearing makeup, lotions or perfume for a few days before surgery. These products can interfere with the laser treatment or increase the risk of infection after surgery.
On the day of your LASIK surgery, you’ll need to arrange for someone to drive you home.
If you’re interested in LASIK surgery in Billings, contact The Eye Clinic Surgicenter at 406-252-6008 or theeyeclinicsurgicenter.com to schedule a consultation with one of our doctors.