For the right candidate, LASIK can be an incredibly effective way to address refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. However, if you are not a good candidate, LASIK risks are much higher when you undergo this procedure.
To be considered a good candidate for LASIK eye surgery in Billings, you should meet the following requirements:
- LASIK eye surgery candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Your vision and prescription should be stable (not worsened) for at least one year.
- Your eyes should have a healthy retina, eye pressure and the cornea must have sufficient thickness.
- Your prescription for distance vision needs to match a certain minimal strength, and that prescription strength (glasses or contacts) must meet FDA approved guidelines for nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
- Your pupils should not be larger than 8.5mm in the dark due to increased risk of vision glare and halos at night and decreased night vision.
- You should have no major eye diseases, no evidence of vascular or autoimmune diseases, no recent history of eye infection or inflammation, excessive corneal disease/scarring or severely dry eyes.
- You should not be pregnant or nursing.
- You should not have uncontrolled (unmanaged) diabetes or certain rheumatologic conditions (e.g. lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s Disease).
The best candidates for LASIK have realistic expectations about the benefits and limitations of this treatment. You should also be fully aware of potential risks. LASIK is largely considered safe and can help you achieve crystal clear vision, but results vary based on individual factors beyond the control of even the most skilled eye surgeon.
The best way to determine if LASIK is right for you is through a comprehensive examination with one of our doctors at The Eye Clinic Surgicenter. Contact us at 406-252-6608 or theeyeclinicsurgicenter.com today to schedule your LASIK consultation.