LASIK Pros and Cons
LASIK is a refractive surgery that uses a laser on one or both eyes to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. LASIK corrects your vision by reshaping your cornea to improve how your eye focuses. As with any surgical procedure, it is important to consider the potential benefits and risks. Carefully weigh the LASIK pros and cons listed below.
- No more glasses or contacts. The idea of no longer needing to wear glasses or contacts may seem too good to be true. Although some LASIK patients will still need glasses for reading or up-close tasks, most patients can say goodbye to the hassle of corrective lenses.
- Improved vision right away. Roughly 80% of the people who choose LASIK surgery will notice an immediate improvement in their vision.
- Quick and easy procedure. LASIK is an outpatient procedure that can be done right in the doctor’s office as opposed to a more intensive/invasive surgery in a hospital. The treatment can take as little as 20 minutes to complete, and results might be noticed before you ever leave the office.
- LASIK is permanent. Unfortunately, after electing to have laser eye surgery, there is no going back. Any improvement or damage to the eye is irreversible.
- Although LASIK eye surgery has become a common procedure, it is still expensive. In addition, because it is generally an elective operation, medical insurance may not cover the expense.
- Possible complications. Some LASIK patients experience negative vision challenges that interfere with their daily functions. These potential impairments include: light sensitivity, blurry vision, double vision, severe astigmatism, halo vision, starburst vision.
- Reading glasses needed as you age. As people age their eyes change shape and corrective lenses are usually needed.
For many Billings patients, the benefits of LASIK eye surgery far outweigh the risks. To learn more about LASIK pros and cons, schedule a consultation with one of our surgeons by contacting The Eye Clinic Surgicenter at 406-252-6608 or theeyeclinicsurgicenter.com.